I got a hankering a couple of weeks ago to try something I've not done before. So, I called up my mother-in-law to see if she'd be willing to help me. Thankfully, she was willing and had an entire day she could devote to me and my little family.
I first went to JoAnn's to get a bunch of supplies. As it was my first 'real' attempt, I didn't have a lot of the basics, so I was in need of a large supply store. I found all of the necessary materials and brought them home.
Early Friday morning said MIL showed up and we got to work. What was I trying to do you ask? Well...
First, you have to cut things out.I did actually help cut out the pattern, but it's hard to take a picture of yourself cutting things out, so I chose to take a picture of the MIL cutting instead.
Then came the hard part. I really don't sew. This is the first time I've ever made anything with a pattern. I did a cape for Jacob about a year or so ago (see cape HERE), but that wasn't done with a pattern and my mom walked me through most of it. So this time, we got a pattern and I did 95% of the sewing myself!One finished apron for Jacob! The boys always want my apron when I'm cooking, so I thought they should have their own.
Two little aprons for two little boys - complete with pockets, a Velcro neck strap, and two tie straps for the back. I thought they turned out pretty nicely. The stitches aren't great everywhere, but for one of my first attempts, I thought it wasn't too bad.
Oh, while all of this was going on...we were also making six loaves of homemade wheat bread. Sorry, no pictures, but that turned out pretty well too. What a day! Thanks MIL! I learned a lot and had a good day being a 'homemaker'!
4.03.2011
Homemaker for a Day
Posted by Rebecca at 1:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 Comments:
Very impressive work. Plus, I think it's smart that you recruited knowledgeable help. I would have struggled for a week on my own and ended up frustrated and with sub-par finished product.
How cute are you! What a super mom! I agree with you on not needing to be out in the workforce. I love being home. :)
I love the aprons! I need to make something like that too. What is your pattern number and brand? Great idea of doing the velcro for the neck strap!
The aprons are adorable! I'm glad she could come help you!! I hope I can sew again some day. (:
Post a Comment