8.05.2008

Confession

I'll make this short and sweet. (This is more for my records than for the readers...) After 11 days of crying for 45 minutes before falling asleep at bedtime and after 11 days of crying before naps for 10-15 minutes and then waking multiple times during said naps...I gave in. Actually, it was a joint decision between Brad and I. This was actually done a couple of Fridays ago (July 25th), but we decided that it just wasn't worth it. Jacob sleeps so much better with his pacifier. I can put him in his bed and he goes right to sleep, or at least doesn't make any noise. So...I guess we'll try again a few months from now. Maybe after the new year (six months of sleeping bliss!). Anyway, wish us luck and if you have any advice for the next try, I'd love to hear it. Until then, I'm enjoying pacified bliss ;)

7 Comments:

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

rebecca, i so feel your pain. don't worry about it. we didn't take it away from noah until he was almost 3 and a half and ben was 2 1/2. we let them pick out a present at the store to trade for their binkies. issy still has hers (at 2 yr, 2 mos old) and i don't want to take it away anytime soon. she's too spitfire to give it up without a fight. if it makes him happy what is it really hurting. it doesn't really affect their teeth until they are like in kindergarten. no one tries to take away the things that make us comfortable and happy (like chocolate, tv and blogging for me). why do we try to take away comforts like binkies from our kids? rob wants me to say that he wishes i took it away from issy a long time ago. i say if it keeps her napping and happy at bedtime, then she's gonna have it for awhile. enjoy your pacified bliss.

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

ps- i loved a thousand splendid suns. do you like it?

Jessica said...

Way to go. Giving it back. That was sure a good parenting move. You tried something - it didn't work - so you gave it back and are reevaluating the situation.

When our oldest was 2.5 years old, we gave him a pair of scissors and encouraged him to cut the tip off his pacifier. He would still take it to bed and for the first few nights he sucked on it. Then he would just take it to bed and hold on to it. Then it fell under his bed and he didn't ask for it again.

good luck~

Kim Jones said...

Good luck with that! Brit got rid of hers when she got dbl ear infection and couldnt breathe through her nose. She was forced to not have it. I've struggled with potty training Weston for the past year. I decided to give up on that and let him decide when to do it. If he wants to go to kindergarten in a pull-up, then that is his decision. Don't let anyone pressure you about it either. Every kid is different! Besides, Jacob is too cute to let him cry!

Irlenborn family said...

I understand completely! Zoey still has hers and has been so cranky since getting home that it's not going anywhere soon!

Stephens said...

I was hoping this would work out for you guys so that there would be a glimmer of hope for Tommy, but with traveling and the move he seems more attached than ever to the stupid thing. Right now I am trying the passive I don't care if you have it attitude to see if he really wants it cause I say he just can't have it.

Julianne said...

When I first started reading this I thought you were talking about yourself and wondering why you were so sad! Anyways, that's definitely a rough situation. Luckily the crying only lasted a couple of nights for our oldest when we took his pacifier away (just after one year old). My other two refused a pacifier all together. I agree with the others, if it makes him happy let him have it a bit longer!