5.19.2008

Fenced In!

We have debated the whole time we've lived here whether or not we wanted to fence in our backyard. It was already fenced in on three sides, so it really wouldn't take much to finish it off. We finally made the decision to spend the money and get it done. We figure this way Jacob can play outside without us having to be right there with him.

First, you must dig the holes:



The next step would be to mix and pour the concrete to set the poles into:

Jacob really liked to help. I wasn't able to get many pictures of Jacob helping, but here's one example. Then there are some steps I don't have pictures of...such as move the boards from the front of the house to where they will get hammered to the fence. Jacob was especially helpful with this. Brad would ask him to go and get a board and Jacob would go to the front of the house, pick one up, and haul it back to where Brad was :)

Fence competed!

We also debated on how many gates we wanted. We opted for just one.


Brad and Jacob got to spend several hours of male bonding together. Part of it was even while it was pouring rain outside. We sent Jacob out in a trash bag so he wouldn't get soaked. He didn't seem to mind the rain and he had a good time with his dad. And for the grand finale...
He can now go out into the backyard and I won't have to worry if he's made his way to the street!

9 Comments:

Amy and Cameron said...

It looks great! You guys are great do-it-yourselfers.

Rebecca said...

It's called being to poor and cheap to pay someone else to do it. But thanks!

Carley said...

That last pic of Jacob at the fence is so cute. When I own my home I would like a privacy fence, I better get some money first huh?

Aaron and Carissa said...

What a great memory for Jacob!

Stephens said...

I am sooo jealous! Everyday I wish for a fenced yard!!

Desaray said...

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions, now I'm pretty sure I could build my own fence ;o) jk

Gomez said...

Fenced yards are the best when you have kids. Great job Brad!

Unknown said...

I love watching boys help their dads-it makes me smile. I am sure you are already loving your fence. We finally have one this year-we went without one for too many years and are loving it.

Jessica said...

Brad just built Jacob a fence and for you he built a little more freedom. I LOVED my fenced backyard. It is the best!!