I am not known for my spontaneity. I am a planner. It is in my nature. It's something I'm good at. However, last weekend I decided to make a suggestion of something our family could do together that I would normally plan in advance to do. So, we decided to take a road trip to...
Yep...all the way to Mammoth Cave! To prove we were all there, I'll post this picture (even though Brad's eyes are closed and it's not a very good shot...)
The cave was pretty cool (no pun intended). It's always 54 degrees, year round, no matter what the temps are outside. We did the Discovery Tour because it was cheap ($4/person - excluding Jacob) and because it was short (approximately 1/2 hour). The other tour that day was $12/person and would've lasted about 2 hours. I didn't think Jacob was up for that. This picture inside the cave proves my point.
Obviously, the lighting in the cave isn't very good and unfortunately, my batteries were running low. But, that's the cave behind Brad and Jacob. Also, there are some old tools and things inside the cave that have been there since the War of 1812 and are very well preserved because at 54 degrees, not much bacteria and things grow inside the cave, so things stay well preserved. This is an area where slaves worked about 12 hour shifts cleaning dirt for gun powder during the War of 1812 (or something like that). It was all very interesting.
It was a fun road trip and a neat place to take any visitors that may want to see the World's Largest Cave! We had fun on our spontaneous adventure!
4.19.2008
Spontaneous
Posted by Rebecca at 5:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 Comments:
Sounds like fun--we'll have to do that when we come in July! How far is from your house?
Fun Becca! You are so spontaneous, I am impressed!
How far was the drive?
Maybe we should go next weekend while the guys are BUSY!
Sounds like fun, good for you being spontaneous!
Looks like a fun trip. I love spontaneous trips, I think we all need to do those more often.
Way to be spontaneous! We've been to Mammouth Caves before, but it's been a few years. They're pretty cool! Glad you had fun.
Way to go Rebecca! Spontaneous can be fun.
I had to figure out where Mammoth Cave was located. I discovered that it is 1 hr and 40 min south of Louisville, according to Google Maps. That is definitely something that you would normally plan. It sounds like you are glad you didn't. So glad it worked out for you.
I am totally not spontaneous either, so I know what a huge excitement it is when I do things that are out of the blue and last minute! I had no idea they had a discovery tour for $4/person. I am going to have to look into that next time. Did you guys see any of those cricket spiders? By the way, Tyson came home from church with a cute little outfit for Taylor that you gave him. THANK YOU SO MUCH! You guys are very thoughtful. I can't wait till she starts fitting into most of her clothes. :)
Post a Comment