1.21.2009

Scary!!

Yesterday Jacob and I decided to play blocks together. I went to the corner and got out the bag of blocks. Something black fell off the bag and I went to get a Kleenex, thinking it was just a dead bug and I'd clean it up. I get back in the living room and the bug is not dead. In fact, it was walking around on my carpet. It had three little red dots on its back and eight legs. Any guesses as to what was walking across my living room carpet? Here's a picture:


Uh, yeah...it was a BLACK WIDOW SPIDER!!! I actually didn't know this when I was taking pictures, but looking him up on Wikipedia confirmed my fears. Wiki also said that most black widows don't bite as a first defense, but play dead. That's exactly what our little friend did. He was all curled up in a ball when I found him, but when he thought he wasn't in any more danger, off he went. After taking the pictures my little 'friend' was promptly killed.


Now, does anybody know of a good exterminator or what would you do if you'd found something like this? Brad doesn't really want to do anything about it for right now. He'd rather just wait and see if we see another one. I, on the other hand, don't want the next time I see another one to be when it's biting me, Jacob, or possibly the baby (when he gets here). So...any suggestions? How freaky!!! It gave me chills just thinking about how close we were to this little guy.

Also, here's a picture of Jacob walking like a spider. He actually was walking like this before we ever saw the spider, but I thought it fit with this post. Enjoy!

5 Comments:

themorganfam said...

I know the coombs love their exterminator so give them a call and ask who they use. I would definatley get rid of them as soon as possible.

Desaray said...

icky, icky. Good thing Megan wasn't there...you'd probably have to scrape her off the ceiling ;o) jk Exterminator please, especially if I'm coming out to visit, hehe.

Jordana said...

Yikes, that is SO scary. I agree with you here I would totally be wanting an exterminator or something to come. When it comes to my babies you can never be too careful.

Julia Callahan said...

We get them every year in our garage. Luckily they are not deadly, but their poison would make you sick. The sad thing is there isn't much you can do. You can spray/exterminate, but they just leave for a year, then come back. We get them every year whether we spray or not. Smashing them is the best way to kill them. :0) Good luck.

Jami said...

I like those bug repelants that plug into your outlets. They're kind of expensive though